BK Launches 1-to-1 Technology Initiative for Fall 2013
The vision for Bishop Kelly’s 1-to-1 technology initiative is to provide an enriched technology environment designed to ensure maximum learning opportunities for all students so they may become effective communicators and responsible collaborators in the 21st Century.
Beginning Fall Semester 2013, all students will be required to have a personal electronic device. The program is “BYOD” or Bring Your Own Device. A list of recommended devices and minimum operating requriements can be found below.
The goals of this 1-to-1 technology initiative are to:
- Close the gap between the way students are living and learning (21st century skills)
- Differentiate and individualize instruction
- Make learning collaborative: not just teacher-to-student, but also student-to-student and student-to-teacher
- Further assist students with special needs
- Make learning interactive
- Make classroom resources more accessible and efficient
- Increase communication between teacher, student and parents
- Provide resources and opportunities for faith enrichment
- Prepare students for college
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Reccomendations
- DELL Latitude Laptop D630 or newer
- HP Pavilion 2000 Notebook or better
- Lenovo Thinkpad T430 or better
- Apple MacBook
- iPad II or iPad III
- Windows Surface
- Lenovo Thinkpad 2
- IdeaTab S2110
- HP ElitePad
- ASUS Tablet
The devices on this list range from $250.00 and up. Financial assistance will be available to assist families who need help purchasing a device for their student(s).
Operating System: Windows 8, Windows 7, Apple IOS, or Android 4.0
Optional: MS Office
Acceptable: Any laptop that has a 10” or better screen, 802.11 A/B/G/N Wireless capable and has a 6-hour battery. Can have XP or Windows 7 operating system.
Any generic Tablet with an unmodified Android 4.0 operating system should also work, but we cannot guarantee they will work on the Bishop Kelly wireless network.
MS Office is optional software.
- Smartphones (screen too small)
- Mini-Tablets of 7” or smaller (too small to do daily work)
- Netbooks of any type (many won’t connect to the Bishop Kelly Wireless)
- HP Tablet with WEB OS (may not connect to the network)
- Nook (may not connect to the network)
- Kindle (may not connect to the network)
Note to parents: Any device used for Bishop Kelly learning activities on the Bishop Kelly wireless network falls under Bishop Kelly Network Usage Policies. Your child should also know how to use their device and be able to connect it to a wireless connection while at school.