Top 10 Ways to Make Your BK Experience Incredible
While the implementation of community time will be just one of many efforts around strengthening community and belonging, there are several things each and every student could do independently this year to strengthen their own sense of belonging at Bishop Kelly and to strengthen a sense of belonging for others. Below is a top 10 list of ideas for each student to embrace and to put into action.
- Be respectful and kind toward others… always.
- Ensure that you help others feel included by actively reaching out to others beyond your friend groups. Be an active includer as opposed to a passive excluder.
- Practice using words of encouragement and affirmation toward others and express gratitude toward others often.
- Be an upstander. If you see someone mistreated by words or actions, don’t be an idle bystander. If you see something, say something.
- Be a student leader, even if you don’t have a leadership title. Be a positive voice for change.
- Get involved beyond the classroom with clubs, organizations and extracurricular activities.
- Attend events and support your peers in their activities.
- Get to know the names of other students in your classes, in your grade level and beyond.
- Look up and detach from your cell phone during the school day. Just because you can use it during breaks and lunchtime, doesn’t mean you should. Every second looking down is a lost opportunity for developing authentic relationships. Here’s a great video to capture the essence of this message.
- Get to know your teachers, your counselors, your administrators and other faculty and staff. We are here to help and support you on your journey.